Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Letter to the Editor draft 4-1

To The Editor of “McCown Eager To Prove He Is Bucs' Best Choice At QB”:

In Anwar Richardson’s article titled “McCown Eager To Prove He Is Bucs' Best Choice At QB” which was published on March 27,2009 the author argues that Luke McCown is trying to prove that he is the best choice for Quarterback of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and he should be given the opportunity to start. As a former employee of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who has worked the training camp in 2005 and 2006, I believe that McCown has always been “eager” to prove that he can start at Quarterback for the Buccaneers, yet he never has proven himself. I feel that McCown has been “patiently” sitting on the Bucs bench for the last five seasons not because he has been behind Pro-Bowl level quarterbacks, but rather because he has done little to “prove” that he would be a capable and efficient passer in the NFL. The article mentions that as a starter in the NFL, McCown is 1-6. This should be the end of the debate as to whether he has had success in the NFL. However, in that lone win, McCown beat the division rival New Orleans Saints in 2007 and threw for 313 yards and two touchdowns while setting the Bucs record for most consecutive completions with 15. My opinion on this is that if he was so good after this game, he would have kept it up and been named the Bucs starter for the next season. This was not the case obviously as in 2008 he only threw one pass all season and was the third string Quarterback behind Jeff Garcia and Brian Griese, who each were lousy throughout most of the season.
I just can’t see how a player who was on a team with such lack of production out of the QB position and threw only one pass all season makes his way into the starting role the next season. The article seems to concede that the Bucs are going to give McCown the opportunity to start and become the Bucs’ quarterback of the future, however I feel that the only way he is given a shot is if they don’t get another QB such as Cutler nor one through the draft. I feel that this is highly unlikely if the Bucs want to compete this coming season. I think that they would only start McCown if they want to concede to a rebuilding season and try to get an early draft pick next year when the Quarterback draft class is better. I think that this is highly unlikely as the Buccaneers have a fairly old team and they should try to be competitive this season, especially since they still were 9-7 last year and one win away from making the playoffs. I believe that the Bucs are still going to try and acquire another quarterback, whether they are somehow able to pry Jay Cutler away from Denver which they have been trying to do for months, or they will take a QB with their first round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.


-Matt Palombo


Author’s Note:
As this is my first attempt at writing a “letter to the editor” I am not sure that I have done it correctly. I am planning on getting feedback and editing it accordingly. I also think I can find more statistics on the issue and this would add to the logos. I think that I built up my ethos as I have worked for the Bucs so therefore I gain credibility in my letter. This was just a “rough” draft, but I think I am on the right track…

No comments:

Post a Comment